Over the last few years, we’ve noted at Oracle Time how Zenith has slowly been exploring the colour wheel with their Defy 21 collection. It started with the Ultraviolet in 2020 but has expanded through jungle green and Ultrablue. Now they’ve embraced this chromatic trend fully with the limited edition Zenith Ultra Colour box set.
The set consists of eight Defy 21 chronographs in eight striking colourways: orange, pink, black, green, dark green, blue, violet and turquoise. Each of the colours is used for their respective watch’s strap and skeleton El Primero 21 automatic chronograph calibre. The watches all have matte titanium cases, maintaining the style of the existing Defy 21 range.
However, a colourful Defy on its own is nothing too exciting since we’ve seen it countless times before. What we’re particularly captivated by is the Zenith Ultra Colour Box Set’s chromatic presentation case. It’s produced in transparent acrylic and has an iridescent appearance that changes depending on the angle it’s viewed from. I want it in my home incredibly badly. Just to have the sunlight pass through it and cast insane patterns across the room if nothing more. The watches are cool too, I guess.
The Ultra Colour Box Set is limited to 8 sets, making it exceptionally exclusive. Assuming that each watch in the set is priced at the same as the Ultraviolet and Ultrablue that inspired them (£11,700) the whole set will have a price tag in the region of £93,600 and that doesn’t account for the case or limited edition value. So, a £100k+ price wouldn’t surprise me. The set is available exclusively from Zenith’s physical and online boutiques.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Zenith Ultra Colour Box Set
- Ref: 97.9001.9004/80.R944.T3/P (Orange)
97.9001.9004/80.R945.T3/P (Khaki Green)
- Case/dial: 44mm diameter, sandblasted titanium, skeletonised dial
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: Calibre El Primero 9004 with ultra colour finishing, automatic, 53 jewels, chronometer certified by TIME LAB
- Frequency: 50h
- Power reserve: 36,000 vph (5 Hz) for the main timekeeping functions and 360,000 vph (50 Hz) for chronograph
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds at 9 o’clock, 1/100 second chronograph, power-reserve display at 12 o’clock, central chronograph hand, 30-minute counter at three o’clock, 60-second counter at six o’clock
- Strap: Ultra colour rubber straps with fabric-effect insert, microblasted titanium double folding clasp
- Price/availability: Price on request, limited to 8 sets
More details at Zenith.