Held every year in the watchmaking capital of Geneva, the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève has been dubbed the “Oscars of watchmaking”, a competition between the best and brightest horological creations for the most coveted award in the industry.
Ahead of the winners being announced on 12th November, the GPHG has just released the list of finalists set to battle it out over the 14 award categories for what is the events 20th anniversary.
A jury of 30 members chosen by the Academy will get hands on with the watches behind closed doors and deliberate over their favourite creations. Although we may not be on the jury just yet, we’re still picking our personal favourites and you can too from the full list below.
Watches with a retail price under CHF 4,000. Smartwatches are admissible in this category.
- Behrens Rotary
- Breitling Endurance Pro
- Kurono Tokyo by Hajime Asaoka Kurono Anniversary Green ‘森:Mori’
- Louis Erard Le Régulateur Louis Erard x Alain Silberstein
- Ming 27.01 Ultra Plat
- Tudor Fifty-Eight
Men’s watches comprising the following indications only: hours, minutes, seconds, simple date (day of the month), power reserve, classic moon phases; may be adorned with a maximum 5-carat gemsetting.
- Bulgari Octo Finissimo S Blue Dial
- De Bethune DB28XP Starry Sky
- Laurent Ferrier Classic Origin Green
- Petermann Bédat Seconde morte
- Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor Squelette Manufacture-Only Carbonium® Edition
- Voutilainen 28SC
Men’s watches that are remarkable in terms of their mechanical creativity and complexity. These watches may feature all kinds of classic and/or innovative complications and indications (e.g. worldtime, dual-time or other types of model) and do not fit the definition of the Men’s and Mechanical Exception categories.
- Bovet 1822 Récital 27
- De Bethune DB28XP Tourbillon
- Girard-Perregaux Quasar Light
- Greubel Forsey Hand Made 1
- Hermès Slim d’Hermès GMT
- MB&F HM10 Bulldog Ti
Men’s or ladies’ watches from an emblematic collection that has been exercising a lasting influence on watchmaking history and the watch market for more than 20 years.
- Breitling Chronomat B01 42
- Bulgari Aluminium Chronograph
- Girard-Perregaux Laureato Infinity Edition (42mm)
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Chronographe
- Piaget Altiplano Origin Automatic
- Seiko Professional Diver’s 1000M
Mechanical watches comprising at least one tourbillon and/or a special escapement and/or another development improving chronometry (precision timekeeping). Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force Stainless steel
- Bernhard Lederer Central Impulse Chronometer
- Brivet-Naudot Eccentricity
- Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud FB 2RE.2
- H. Moser & Cie Endeavour Cylindrical Tourbillon H. Moser X MB&F
- Theo Auffret Tourbillon à Paris
Calendar and Astronomy
Men’s mechanical watches comprising at least one calendar and/or astronomical complication (e.g. date, annual calendar, perpetual calendar, equation of time, complex moon phases display, etc.). Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Behrens Apolaire
- Chopard L.U.C Perpetual Twin
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Yacht Club Moon & Tide
- Parmigiani Fleurier Calendrier Perpétuel Hégirien
- Sarpaneva Watches Lunations Harvest Moon
- Vacheron Constantin Overseas Quantième Perpétuel Ultra-Plat Squelette
Men’s and/or ladies’ watches featuring a special mechanism, such as an innovative or sophisticated display, an automaton, a striking or any other acoustic function, a belt-driven movement or any other original and/or exceptional horological concept.
- Armin Strom Minute Repeater Resonance
- Bovet 1822 Récital 26 Brainstorm Chapter 2
- Jacob & Co Bugatti Chiron
- MB&F Legacy Machine Thunderdome
- Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept
- Ressence Type 2A
Mechanical watches comprising at least one chronograph indication. Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Atelier de Chronométrie Chronographe à rattrapante
- Breitling Top Time Limited Edition
- H. Moser & Cie Streamliner Flyback Chronograph Automatic
- Kurono Tokyo by Hajime Asaoka Kurono Chronograph 1
- Louis Moinet Memoris Superlight
- Parmigiani Fleurier Tondagraph GT Acier
Watches linked to the world of diving, whose functions, materials, and design are suited to this activity.
- Breitling Superocean Automatic 48 Boutique Edition
- Doxa SUB 300 Carbon Aqua Lung US Divers
- Grand Seiko 9RA5 Professional Diver’s 600M
- Ming 18.01 H41
- Reservoir Hydrosphere Bronze x Revolution “The Maldives Edition”
- Ulysse Nardin Diver X Cape Horn
Watches demonstrating exceptional mastery of one or several artistic techniques such as enamelling, lacquering, engraving, guilloché (engine-turning), skeleton-working, etc.
- Andersen Genève Heures Sautantes 40ème Anniversaire
- Bovet 1822 Amadéo Tourbillon Squelette 7 Jours
- Dior Montres Dior Grand Bal Plume
- Hermès Arceau Into the Canadian Wild
- Jacob & Co Astronomia Sky Phoenix
- Van Cleef & Arpels Lady Arpels Soleil Féerique
Watches with a retail price between CHF 4,000 and CHF 10,000. Smartwatches are admissible in this category.
- Bell & Ross BR 05 Skeleton
- Breitling Superocean Heritage ’57 Limited Edition II
- Habring2 Chrono Felix Panda
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Automatic 40
- Sarpaneva Watches Sarpaneva x Moomin
- Trilobe Secret
Women’s watches that are remarkable in terms of their mechanical creativity and complexity. These watches may feature all kinds of classic and/or innovative complications and indications (e.g. annual calendar, perpetual calendar, equation of time, complex moon phases, digital or retrograde time display, worldtime, second time zone or other types of model) and do not fit the definition of the Ladies’ category.
- Bulgari Serpenti Seduttori Tourbillon
- Charles Girardier Tourbillon Signature Mystérieuse « fleur de sel »
- Jacob & Co Astronomia Fleurs de Jardin Rainbow
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Embrace
- Piaget Altiplano Tourbillon
- Van Cleef & Arpels Lady Arpels Ballerine Musicale Diamant
Women’s watches comprising the following indications only: hours, minutes, seconds, simple date (day of the month), power reserve, classic moon phases; may be adorned with a maximum 8-carat gemsetting.
- Beauregard Lili
- Bovet 1822 Miss Audrey
- Chanel Mademoiselle Privé Bouton perle
- Dior Montres Dior Grand Bal Ruban
- Hermès Arceau Petite Lune Jeté de diamants et saphirs
- Piaget Limelight Gala Precious Dégradé de Saphirs
Watches demonstrating exceptional mastery of the art of jewellery and gem-setting, and also distinguished by the choice of stones.
- Bulgari Serpenti Misteriosi Intrecciati
- Chopard Magari
- Dior Montres Dior Grand Soir Reine des Abeilles
- Jacob & Co The Mystery Tourbillon Full Ruby
- Piaget Limelight Gala Haute Joaillerie Opale Noire
- Van Cleef & Arpels Montre Frivole Secrète
More details at GPHG.