Studio Underd0g have an excellent sense of humour, after all, you’d have to see the funny side of horology in order to make watches themed around watermelon, ice cream and strawberries a success. And their quirky watches have been a complete, unquestionable success. The proof is in the pumpkin pie, by which I mean the Studio Underd0g Pumpkin Chronograph they’ve just launched in support of charity.
The story behind the genesis of this charity project is one of the most heartwarming in all horology. An 11-year-old girl, whose parents each own a watch from the brand, loved the fun designs so much that she decided to invent her own version. Inspired by the spookiest time of year, she sketched out a Halloween Pumpkin edition of the chrono. As soon as a picture of the drawing came to the attention of the Studio Underd0g team, the gears were set in motion.
An orange dial with pumpkin seed indexes and green accents perfectly conjures the image of the autumnal festival. Beyond the redesigned dial, it’s the same chronograph we’ve come to love with a 38.5mm diameter case and the Seagull Calibre ST-1901 with 50-hour power reserve.
Only two Pumpkin Chronographs have been made with Studio Underd0g charmingly calling it a ‘Piece 2-nique’. The first version has been gifted to the girl who created the idea and the second is available for auction, the sale of which opened just now and is set to close on Oct 24. All proceeds from the auction will go to the Mary’s Meals charity, providing food and care to at risk children in 20 countries globally. Considering how popular regular editions are, a limited edition with only one available to the public is sure to raise a considerable sum for a great cause.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Studio Underd0g Halloween Pumpkin Chronograph
- Ref: 01PUGR
- Case/dial: 38.5mm diameter (44.5mm lug-to-lug) x 13.6mm height, polished stainless steel case, dégradé pumpkin orange with green coloured tachymeter scale and 30-min counter dial with Super-LumiNova C3 hour and minute hands
- Water resistance: 50m (5 bar)
- Movement: Seagull calibre ST-1901, manual-winding with a silver coloured Swan Neck regulator, 23 jewels
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Power reserve: 50h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, chronograph
- Strap: Green Epsom leather (by The Strap Tailor) with additional tapered Milanese mesh bracelet
- Price/availability: Auctioned via eBay for charity (17th – 24th October 3pm BST)