If there’s one collaboration we need even if we didn’t know we wanted it, it’s of that between Ressence and Alain Silberstein. Ressence are known for their innovative and unique designs while Silberstein is an architect with an impressive vision for shape and colour. A marriage made in heaven and solidified by the new limited edition Ressence Type 1 REV Grail Watch.
Structurally and functionally, the new piece is based on the 41.5mm Type 1 Slim a watch that has already seen its fair share of collaborative redesigns. And that makes sense, it’s titanium case and broad surfaces make it an unusually versatile canvas for artists to work with. Plus, the ROCS module calibre inside is peak Ressence orbital technology.
With the technical side covered by Ressence, Alain Silberstein designed the new dial in his signature Bauhaus style which has graced previous watches from brands like Louis Erard with the Collector’s Triptych. However, rather than focussing on abstract shapes, Silberstein’s influence for the Type 1 REV Grail Watch was Philippe de Champaigne’s 1646 “Vanitas” painting.
“Vanitas” depicts a trio of objects: a flower, a skull and an hourglass. Each element has been incorporated into the Ressence design. The flower forms the hand for the hour indication, the skull is a cartoonish running seconds indicator and the hourglass is represented by the yellow, triangular hand of the day indication, a stylised take on the falling sand. The Bauhaus reinterpretation of a famous naturalistic still life painting is extremely well executed. Even the colours used are perfect.
The Ressence Type 1 REV Grail Watch in collaboration with Alain Silberstein is limited to 36 pieces. They are priced at CHF 22,500 (approx. £18,450) and are available exclusively from Grail Watch, an online boutique that specialises in limited editions with the aim of making them accessible to all.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Ressence Type 1 REV Grail Watch
- Case/dial: 41.5mm diameter x 11mm height, grade 5 titanium, convex mesh dial (radius of 125 mm) with 3 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3° (hours) and 4.75° (day and day of the week)
- Movement: Patented ROCS 1 – Ressence Orbital Convex System (driven by the minute axle of a specially modified 2892/A calibre), automatic, 40 jewels, time setting system via a lever on the back of the case
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 36h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, days of the week
- Strap: Blue leather strap
- Price/availability: CHF 22,500 (excluding VAT) (approx. £18,450), limited to 36 pieces