Ressence are one of the most exciting watchmakers around currently. Not only are their watches unique in style and function but they also work alongside a wide variety of artists and organisations to create stunning limited editions. Just look at the recent Type 1 x Alain Silberstein. Now they’ve launched the Type 5 AIT with Art in Time.
Art in Time is an exclusive gallery and boutique in Monaco that celebrates the highest craftsmanship from haute horological watchmakers like Greubel Forsey, MB&F and H. Moser & Cie. The fact Ressence are included alongside brands like this reflects how remarkable their orbital and oil-filled technology really is. As a celebration, 11 of the 12 Ressence Type 5 AIT watches will be available exclusively at Art in Time.
In terms of structure and performance, the limited edition is practically identical to the base Type 5. It combines the signature rotating display of hours, minutes, oil temperature and 90 second runner with a durable titanium case, with 100m water resistance, making for a well-balanced timepiece. As expected, the movement inside is the ROCS 5 with its 36-hour power reserve.
Where this limited edition differs is in the yellow minute track and yellow accents on each of the rotating subdials. A nice touch is that for each of the 12 watches, a different hour marker has been depicted in yellow corresponding with the watch’s limited edition number. It means each of the watches is individual.
The 12th watch, which has the Ressence logo at 12 o’clock in yellow, is the only one not available at Art in Time as it’s being sold for charity instead. The funds raised will go to the Fondation Prince Albert II de Monaco, a charity set up by Prince Albert II to support environmental campaigns and global sustainability.
Each of the 11 Type 5 AITs not being sold for charity are priced at €35,500 (approx. £30,600). Which is a lot, although considering the illustrious company they’re keeping at Art in Time, they’re likely on the more accessible end of the spectrum.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Ressence Type 5 AIT
- Case/dial: 46mm diameter x 15.5mm thickness, grade 5 titanium case, two separate sealed chambers with the upper one filled with 3.57 ml of oil, domed sapphire crystals top and bottom with both sides anti-reflective coating, uni-directional bezel, convex dial with 3 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3°(hours), 4.75° (thermal gauge and runner), engraved indications filled with SuperLuminova®
- Water resistance: 10m (1 bar)
- Movement: Patented ROCS 5 – Ressence Orbital Convex System (driven by the minute axle of a customised and reinforced 2824/2 base calibre), manual winding, 41 jewels, 324 parts, 25 gears, compensating bellow system for the oil (7 bellows), magnetic transmission, compression lock system
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 36h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, runner, oil temperature
- Strap: Yellow rubber (24mm) with polished ardillon grade 5 titanium buckle
- Price/availability: €35,500 EUR (approx. £30,600)