Recently Delma have been expanding on their professional diving watch collections with timepieces like the Blue Shark III Black Edition and Shell Star Decompression Timer. However, they’re also no stranger to complications designed for use on land as the new 2022 Montego Chronograph showcases.
The Montego Chronograph has a super sporty design with a stainless steel case and a large steel bezel with prominent tachymeter. In terms of size, the 2022 edition has been put on a diet, reducing it from the 45.5mm of the original Montego to a much more wearable 42mm with a height of 16.2mm. That change makes it a much more versatile wristwatch suitable for daily wear without compromising on functionality.
Speaking of function, the display is made up of tricompax subdials at 12, 9 and 6 o’clock featuring a 30-minute timer, small seconds and 12-hour timer respectively. Each subdial is finished with circular guilloché to differentiate them from the sunray brushed dial. At 3 o’clock is a day and date window beneath the Delma logo. Naturally the display is completed by central hours, minutes and chronograph seconds. The dial itself is available in white, black, green or blue, meaning there’s plenty of styles to choose from.
Under the sporty surface, the Delma 2022 Montego Chronograph houses the ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic chronograph calibre. It’s a solid ETA movement with 48-hour power reserve and Côte de Genève finishing that’s visible through the exhibition caseback.
If you’ve ever looked at the price tag of a Rolex Daytona and gasped, the 2022 Montego Chronograph is an excellent alternative. It will only set you back a relatively accessible £2,200 on steel bracelet or £2,100 on cordura rubber. Of the four versions, the black and white are hard to beat for their classic charm, but we exist in a post-2020 world which means the green wears the crown as my favourite.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Delma Montego Chronograph
Ref: 41601.732.6.031 (black dial, Cordura rubber strap)
41701.732.6.031 (black dial, stainless steel bracelet)
- Case/dial: 42mm diameter x 16.2mm thickness, stainless-steel case, black, white, blue or green sunray-brushed dial with circular guilloche pattern counters, white luminescent hands and indexes, fixed bezel with tachymeter function
- Water resistance: 200m (20 bar)
- Movement: Calibre ETA 7750, automatic with ball bearing, 25 jewels, rotor with Cote de Genève and DELMA engraving
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 48h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, day-date, chronograph (chronograph central seconds hand, 30 min counter at 12 o’clock and hour counter at 6 o’clock)
- Strap: Brushed and polished stainless-steel 5-link stainless steel bracelet with deployant clasp or waterproof hybrid cordura rubber strap in matching colors with stainless steel buckle
- Price/availability: £2,100 (Cordura rubber strap) and £2,200 (stainless steel bracelet), comes with a Delma wooden box