Plenty of watches have cult followings but few have quite such a vocal fanbase as the Casio G-Shock GMB2100 series. Colloquially, the collection is known as the “CasiOak” due to its resemblance to the iconic Genta designed Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. However, Casio have never fully embraced the moniker and have steered away from creating a full steel model – instead exploring alternative materials like resin with the G-Shock Resin ‘CasiOak’. That is, until now with the introduction of the Full Metal 2100 Series and the GM-B2100D-1AER.
The main structural aspect that gives the 2100 its “CasiOak” nickname is the octagonal bezel, which has a large, flat surface in the same style as the Royal Oak. sans screws. The sports luxe aesthetic suits the G-Shock down to a T and it’s clear to see why it’s gained such a following. In full steel the similarities are all the more apparent, giving the watch the heft that a plastic watch can never have.
There are actually three versions of the Full Metal GMB2100 being produced. The base model GM-B2100D-1AER is your classic grey steel while GM-B2100BD-1AER has a black finish and GM-B2100GD-5AER is ion plated with a copper colour. Personally, I don’t think the grey steel can be beaten, but you might prefer a stealthier aesthetic or a bolder, gold-like tone.
Other than the new cases, it’s business as usual for the 2100. An ana-digi display and a shock resistant movement with Bluetooth and phone pairing capabilities makes for a versatile, utility focussed watch that’s durable and accurate.
As for accessibility, the standard grey version is £449 while the two ion plated versions in black and copper are £499. At that price and with such a dedicated fanbase, the Full Metal G-Shock GMB2100s could well turn the “CasiOak” from being an underground, cult favourite to a serious contender in the realm of accessible sports luxe watches.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Casio G-Shock Full Metal Series GMB2100D-1A (Silver)
Casio G-Shock Full Metal Series GMB2100BD-1A (All Black IP)
Casio G-Shock Full Metal Series GMB2100GD-5A (Bronze IP)
- Case/dial: 49.8mm diameter x 12.8mm thickness, stainless steel case with dual layer dial, LCD, vapor deposition
- Water resistance: 200m (20 bar)
- Movement: Digital
- Power reserve: Approximately 7 months after full charge, 18 months with power-saving function (power-saving after a certain period in a dark location) after full charge, solar charging
- Functions: Hours, minutes, world time (38 time zones), stopwatch, timer, 5 daily alarms, date, battery level indicator, bluetooth (auto time adjustment, easy watch setting, approx. 300 world time cities, time & place, reminder, phone finder)
- Strap: Stainless steel bracelet
- Price/availability: £449 (silver) and £499 (black or bronze IP)