Following last year’s Bulgari Octo Finissimo Tadao Ando Limited Edition, Bulgari have launched another architectural limited edition. This time it’s the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Sejima in collaboration with Kazuyo Sejima. Sejima is a Japanese architect whose work has seen her win multiple notable awards including the prestigious Pritzker Prize in 2010. Notable projects by Sejima and her design firm SANAA include the Louvre’s sister gallery, the Louvre-Lens, and the Rolex Learning Centre in Lausanne.
In terms of pure specs and structure the Octo Finissimo Sejima is virtually identical to the Tadao Ando edition. They both have 40mm diameters and house the ultra-thin calibre BVL 138. The only major structural difference between them is that the Sejima edition is made from polished stainless steel as opposed to ceramic, a change that also means the Sejima version is slightly thicker at 6.5mm in comparison to 5.5mm.
However, when it comes to aesthetics, the Sejima couldn’t be more different to the Tadao Ando. It’s incredibly shiny and bright with a mirror-polished sapphire crystal dial adorned with countless metallic dots. The overall impression is somewhat akin to an illusion, the dots gliding across your vision to create solid colour.
The Octo Finissimo Sejima Limited Edition is limited to 360 pieces at a price of £12,100. That’s more than double the availability of the Tadao Ando and a good few thousand more accessible. If Bulgari continues to create watches like this, I could get used to the idea of an annual Octo Finissimo Architect showcase.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic Sejima Limited Edition
- Ref: 103710
- Case/dial: 40mm diameter x 6.4mm thickness, polished stainless steel octogonal case, polished dial with sapphire crystal and metallised dots, transparent caseback with Sejima signature
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: BVL calibre 138, in-house, automatic, 36 jewels
- Frequency: 21,600 (3 Hz)
- Power reserve: 60h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds
- Strap: Polished stainless steel bracelet with 3 blade folding buckle
- Price/availability: £12,000, limited to 360 pieces