We might not have covered its launch in detail last year but the Odyssey Regatta chronograph from Boldr was easily one of the finest new regatta timers around. And now that they’ve released an updated version with a new colourway, it gives us the chance to take a closer look. This is the Boldr Supply Co. Odyssey Regatta Admiral Blue.
Off the bat, the case is a real bruiser in stainless steel with a 45.5mm diameter and dramatic, angular lugs. It’s powerful and strong, designed to withstand the nicks and blows that are the occupational hazard for a timepiece at home in a fast-paced boat racing environment. The ceramic bezel, which has a 15-minute countdown timer and a tachymeter calibrated to nautical speed, is equally bold with a chunky grip for ease of use. The triple-lock screw down crown and solid caseback also help give the watch a 500m water resistance.
Both the bezel and dial have been given a makeover as instead of the original black, they’re now nautically themed in blue. Specifically, a colour called admiral blue with lighter, sky blue subdials. The subdials and overall dial layout are unchanged with central hours, minutes and chronograph seconds with a 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock, small seconds at 9 and a 10-minute countdown timer at 12 for timing race starts. It’s that timing function that makes this watch a regatta timer, although it’s not as traditional as a five dot marker.
Housed inside is the ETA Valjoux 7750 Elaboré grade movement. It’s automatic with a 48-hour power reserve, but more important is its Incabloc shock resistance system that keeps the movements safe from the endless bumps and rapid changes in movement common on the water.
The Boldr Supply Co. Odyssey Regatta Admiral Blue is available from the 14th of April at £1,174. It’s not a watch for everyone, the 45.5mm case and niche complication make sure of that. However, if you’re looking for a strong and sporty chronograph with diving specs that’s also accessible, what are you waiting for?
Price & Specs:
- Model: Boldr Supply Co. Odyssey Regatta Admiral Blue
- Case/dial: 45.5mm diameter x 18.2mm height, stainless steel case, Admiral blue fine textured dial, 15-minute countdown timer and a tachymeter on ceramic bezel
- Water resistance: 500m (50 bar)
- Movement: Swiss-made ETA Valjoux 7750 Elaboré grade calibre, automatic, 25 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 48h
- Functions: Central hours, minutes, chronograph seconds with a 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock, small seconds at 9, 10-minute countdown timer at 12, day/date
- Strap: Stainless steel bracelet
- Price/availability: £1,174, limited to 100 pieces
More details at Boldr Supply. Co.