When I first became interested in watches, I made the assumption that the Tag Heuer Carrera and Porsche Carrera were somehow connected. Of course, I now know that they’re both named after the Carrera Panamerica with the Heuer created in 1963 and the car following in 1972, totally unconnected. However, my initial assumption wasn’t as wrong as I first thought because in 2019 the two brands announced their partnership and have since created a series of limited edition watches together, the latest of which is the Tag Heuer Carrera x Porsche RS 2.7 Limited Editions.
On a technical level, there’s nothing particularly new here. It’s a 42mm diameter tricompax chronograph housing Tag Heuer’s Calibre 02. An impressive calibre to be sure – it has an 80-hour power reserve – but it’s one we’ve seen before. Fortunately, this limited edition isn’t about what Tag Heuer can create in terms of technology, it’s all about style.
There are two versions of the watch available, both drawing on the classic livery of the original 1963 Porsche RS 2.7, the very first 911 to bear the name ‘Carrera’. The first of the two is a blue edition ref. CBN2016.EB0275, limited to 500 pieces, which has a steel case, a white opaline dial and blue lacquered hands and accents. Every small element is a call back to the car, such as the chunky coloured blocks on the 30-minute subdial that are inspired by the 911’s famous rims. There’s also a blue case band with ‘Carrera’ inscription that mirrors the design on the vehicle’s flanks.
The second version of the watch is based on the red RS 2.7, so it has red hands and red timing scales. (Not the first red Carrera of 2022) It’s also the more exclusive of the two with only 250 pieces available. However, the biggest difference between each edition is the case material, as the ref. CBN2045.FC8316 has an 18k rose gold case. The precious metal emphasises the fact that the Tag Heuer Carrera is a watch as much at home outside of sport as it is in it. In fact, this duality is something shared by the Porsche Carrera, which was the first 911 designed to be an everyday vehicle that could also perform at events.
As for pricing, the Tag Heuer Carrera x Porsche RS 2.7 blue edition is £6,400 while the red edition is substantially higher at £19,550. That’s largely due to the difference in case materials but also the strap options. The blue comes with both a steel bracelet and a fabric strap while the red comes on a luxurious alligator leather in a rich red. Both are worthy celebrations of the RS 2.7’s 50th anniversary.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Tag Heuer Carrera x Porsche RS 2.7
- Ref: CBN2016.EB0275 (stainless steel)
CBN2045.FC8316 (pink gold)
- Case/dial: 42mm diameter, stainless steel case, blue and white dial (stainless steel) or 18k pink gold, red and white dial (pink gold)
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: TAG Heuer calibre Heuer 02, automatic, 33 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 80h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, chronograph, small seconds, date
- Strap: White and blue NATO fabric with pin buckle with additional stainless steel bracelet with steel folding clasp with double safety push buttons (stainless steel) or red alligator leather with 18k rose gold pin buckle (pink gold)
- Price/availability: £6,400, limited to 500 pieces (stainless steel) and £19,550, limited to 250 pieces (pink gold)