At the start of 2022 Seiko resurrected one of its old brands as the new King Seiko collection. Since then, the collection has slowly been expanding with a handful of new colourways in black, brown, red and as of now lavender. However, more interesting than the different colours is that Seiko have now launched a second King Seiko model in the form of the KSK 1965 Re-Creation Limited Edition SJE087J1.
Primarily, the difference between the KSK 1965 Re-Creation SJE087J1 and the base King Seiko is down to the proportions of their cases. The new watch is wider, with a diameter of 38.12mm compared to 37mm, but it’s also thinner as its height is down to 11.37mm from 12.06mm. Despite the change in size, the overall style of the case has been preserved – strong, facetted lugs on a round case.
Another element of the KSK 1965 Re-Creation SJE087J1 worth noting is the fact it introduces a date complication to the modern collection. The window is located in the traditional position at 3 o’clock. Otherwise, the display consists of the bar indexes and razor-edge hands we’ve already seen, albeit gold coloured. The dial itself is silver coloured with sun ray brushed finish.
Under the surface is the 6L35 automatic calibre, a movement known for its thinness and which allows for the updated case dimensions. It has a 45-hour power reserve, which is decent, but I’d take the trade off of 0.6mm extra height for the 70-hour power reserve of the 6R31 any day. That said, the KSK 1965 Re-Creation does have a lot of presence and at £2,830 limited to 1,700 pieces, it’s a great second showing from Seiko’s King Seiko collection.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Seiko King Seiko KSK 1965 Re-Creation Limited Edition
- Ref: SJE087J1
- Case/dial: 38.12mm diameter x 44.72mm length x 11.37mm thickness, stainless steel (super hard coating) case, silver dial
- Water resistance: 50m (5 bar)
- Movement: Seiko calibre 6L35, automatic & manual winding, -10/+15 seconds per day accuracy, 26 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 45h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, date
- Strap: Alligator brown leather with steel pin buckle
- Price/availability: £2,830, limited edition of 1,700 pieces, July