Having recently launched the new Captain Cook Ceramic Diver, Rado are continuing to expand the Captain Cook range. This time with a limited edition world timer called the Captain Cook Over-Pole.
It’s a vintage style timepiece with a stainless steel case in a diameter of 37mm, following the size trends of the sixties when the original Over-Pole Worldtimer was launched. However, that’s not to say the new version doesn’t also use modern elements. The Captain Cook Over-Pole features a high-tech ceramic bezel, laser engraving and a boxed sapphire crystal. Rado are masters of the ceramic material so it would be a crime if it didn’t feature on this limited edition in at least some capacity.
That bezel is engraved with the names of 24 iconic cities and locations and serves as the world time function. Allowing you to keep track of the time across the globe, which is what gives world timers the distinction of being the ultimate travel complication. The bezel is further complemented by a 24-hour scale around the periphery of the dial.
In terms of style, the Captain Cook Over-Pole’s dial is sunray brushed with a silver-black gradient. The gradient works really well, fading from the steel tone of the case to the black of the ceramic bezel. It provides a backdrop for the faceted hour markers and central hour, minute, second hands. There’s also a date window at 3 o’clock.
Inside and visible through the exhibition caseback is the Rado calibre R862 calibre. It’s a manual movement that has a great 80-hour power reserve. Plus, to maintain the Captain Cook’s adventurous and travel ready spirit it’s equipped with a Nivachron antimagnetic hairspring.
The Rado Captain Cook Over-Pole is limited to 1962 pieces at a price of £2,230. That’s pretty amazing value given the quality of its movement and construction. It’s a nice vintage inspired watch with a practical complication, which is what the Captain Cook collection is all about.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Rado Captain Cook Over-Pole
- Reference: R32116158
- Case/dial: 37mm diameter x 10.3mm height, stainless steel case, high-tech ceramic bezel with laser engraved city names engraved, sunray brushed dial with a silver-black gradient
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: Rado calibre R862, manual winding, 17 jewels
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Power reserve: 80h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, date at 3 o’clock
- Strap: Vintage brown leather with additional stainless steel rice grain bracelet
- Price/availability: £2,230, limited to 1962 pieces
More details at Rado.