ochs und junior is one of the most intriguing watchmaking brands of the last 16 years. It’s the project of Ludwig Oeschlin, a watchmaker with over 30 years of experience working with numerous high end brands, the Musée International d’Horlogerie and has restored many culturally significant timepieces. However, despite the wealth of haute horological experience at their fingertips, ochs und junior is all about finding simplicity in watchmaking. The latest example of which is the ochs line mesa 2.22.
line mesa 2.22 is a time and date watch with a 39mm titanium case and ultra-minimalist aesthetic. Instead of a traditional date window it has a dot indicator that spirals around the centre of the dial. The reasoning behind using an indicator like this is that the module uses less components, adhering to the ochs und junior philosophy of mechanical simplicity. Plus, the spiral design that causes two dots to overlap means there are 30 dots in the circle, allowing it to double as a minutes scale (30 dots + 30 gaps = 60 minutes).
The mesa 2.22 is based on the 1.22 launched earlier this year, the primary change being new dial colour, which is a rich blue. That richness of colour is achieved using a PVD coating on the dial, a first for the brand. Both the mesa 2.22 and its predecessor use the ETA 2824-2 automatic movement with 38-hour power reserve.
As for pricing, the ochs und junior ochs line mesa 2.22 is CHF 3,500 (approx. 3,050). While that might seem fairly high for a time and date watch, it’s substantially more accessible than Ludwig Oeschlin’s other projects.
Price & Specs:
- Model: ochs und junior ochs line mesa 2.22
- Case/dial: 39mm diameter x 10.4mm thickness, 2 part titanium case designed by Ludwig Oechslin with Yves-Klein, blue PVD dial made by Positive Coating, La Chaux-de-Fonds
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: ETA calibre 2824-2, automatic, 25 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 38h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, date
- Strap: Blue-black leather handmade by Sabina Brägger with titanium buckle designed by Ludwig Oechslin
- Price/availability: CHF 3,500 (approx. 3,050)