At time of writing the Miami Grand Prix is still a few days away and, while its going to be one hell of a test run for the new Miami International Autodrome, we have our eyes as usual on the watches – one watch in particular. It’s been a minute since IWC partnered with the Mercedes-AMG Petronas team but now they finally have their official team watch: the (take a deep breath, this is IWC), Pilot’s Watch Chronograph 41 Edition “Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team”.
Fortunately for the name, the watch speaks for itself. In keeping with the racing theme, the Pilot’s watch has been given a titanium overhaul, lightweight and strong, sandblasted to the materials signature matte grey. It suits it, for sure, enough that I’m glad they went this way than the watchmaker’s current fixation, ceramic.
The dial though is where the action’s happening. Stark against the black dial, the lumed indexes are in Mercedes-AMG Petronas’ signature livery, a green that’s almost turquoise. It’s stunning and, incidentally, suits the race to a tee – there’s more than a little Miami vice here.
Inside is IWC’s 69385 calibre automatic movement with a 46-hour power reserve, same as in the mainstay of their Pilot’s collection and a solid piece of watchmaking with a column-wheel chronograph and bi-directional winding system.
Given the team’s track record, you can expect to see at least one of these on the podium next race, be it on Lewis Hamilton, George Russell or both. That’s of course unless the shiny new Miami track – and the expected high temperatures – are a little too punishing…
Price & Specs:
- Model: IWC Pilot’s Watch Chronograph 41 Edition “Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team”
- Reference: IW388108
- Case/dial: 41mm diameter x 14.6mm height, sandblasted grade 5 titanium case, black dial
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: IWC-manufactured calibre 69385, automatic, 33 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 46h
- Functions: Chronograph function for hours, minutes and seconds, date and day display, small hacking seconds
- Strap: Green rubber and black embossed calfskin
- Price/availability: £6,850
More details at IWC.