Hanhart are one of the most culturally significant watchmakers in the realm of aviation timepieces, having produced the Fliegers worn by the Luftwaffe during WWII. Their heritage is as significant to military watch history as the MOD’s Dirty Dozen. Today, they continue to produce classy pilot’s watches and chronographs with vintage aesthetics. The latest of which are the new Hanhart Pioneer MKI and MKII Reverse Pandas which add a new colourway to the collection.
The Pioneer MKI and MKII are about as archetypal as a pilot’s chronograph can be and the new versions follow in that classic design. 40mm diameter case in stainless steel with a fluted rotating bezel featuring a red insert. That red marker allows the wearer to track specific timings beyond the traditional chronograph function, useful for aerial navigation. The only structural difference between the MKI and MKII is that the MKI is a monopusher variant with a single red pusher between 1 and 2 o’clock while the MKII has a second pusher at 4.
What’s new about these watches is the attractive reverse panda colourway consisting of white subdials in a bicompax layout on a black dial. It provides super high contrast and legibility, ideal for reading at a glance. The subdial at 3 o’clock is a 30-minute timer and the one at 9 is a small seconds counter. The black and white colourway makes the red of the chronograph hands, bezel indicator and pusher stand out all the more sharply.
Both the Pioneer MKI and MKII Reverse Pandas are powered by the ETA 7753 automatic movement. Although the MKI features a version of the movement modified by Hanhart to convert it into a monopusher. It has a decent 42-hour power reserve which is fine for this price point.
Since these watches are simple re-colours their prices are the same as the all black editions. €1,990 for the MKII and €2,090 for the MKI (approx. £1,690/£1,775). The all black might be the more traditional, but the Reverse Panda’s striking appearance is hard to say no to.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Hanhart Pioneer MKI & MKII Reverse Panda
- Case/dial: 40mm diameter x 15mm thickness, stainless steel case, black dial with white sub dials
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: ETA calibre 7753, automatic, 27 jewels (MKI has Hanhart one pusher modification)
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 42h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, chronograph (MKI has start, stop, reset all in one pusher using in-house movement modification)
- Strap: Black or brown calfskin with rivets, white stitching and stainless steel pin-buckle
- Price/availability: €1,990 (approx. £1,690) (MKII) and €2,090 (approx. £1,775) (MKI)