Car manufactures and watchmakers love to collaborate and over the years there have been some iconic duos, such as Richard Mille and Ferrari. However, one partnership that’s in its early days and still blossoming is that between Girard-Perregaux and Aston Martin. The collaboration has seen the production of two watches so far, the Three Bridges Aston Martin and the Laureato Chronograph Aston Martin. Now though GP are focussing on Aston’s competitive racing pedigree to create the Laureato Absolute Chronograph Aston Martin F1 Edition.
In a first for Girard-Perregaux, the case and rubber strap are hybrid pieces that contain carbon elements taken directly from two of Aston Martin’s 2021 F1 cars. For the 44mm case, the carbon has been combined with titanium powder to provide superb durability, perfect for surviving the knocks of high speed racing. The composition of carbon and FKM rubber in the strap makes it more supple and resistant, stylishly finished with a fabric weave façade in Aston Martin Racing Green.
The tricompax dial features a slightly sportier take on the diamond engraved pattern introduced on the previous Girard-Perregaux Laureato Chronograph. On the F1 edition it’s presented in Aston Martin Racing Green as opposed to British Racing Green, which makes it overall darker and provides higher contrast for the white indexes and yellow chronograph hands. Important factors when trying to read the display in a split-second.
Inside and visible through the sapphire caseback is the automatic chronograph calibre GP03300-1058 with a 46-hour power reserve. The Laureato Absolute Chronograph Aston Martin F1 Edition is a limited edition of 306 pieces, a number which matches the distance in kilometres of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone (Aston Martin’s home track). It’s priced at £21,500, which compared to the £12 million cost of the cars its parts are taken from is a bargain.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Girard-Perregaux Laureato Absolute Chronograph Aston Martin F1 Edition
- Reference: 81060-41-3071-1CX
Case/dial: 44mm diameter x 15.15mm height, titanium & carbon case (carbon extracted from two Formula One™ race cars used during the 2021 season), sunray ‘Aston Martin Racing Green’ dial with cross-hatching pattern
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: Calibre ref. GP03300-1058, automatic, 63 jewels, 419 parts
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 46h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, chronograph with 30-minute and 12-hour counters, date
- Strap: GP Rubber Alloy in Aston Martin Racing Green (mix of rubber and carbon extracted from two Formula One™ race cars used during the 2021 season) fabric effect
- Price/availability: £21,500, limited to 306 pieces
More details at Girard-Perregaux.