Back in August Baltic launched their first Tricompax Chronograph in collaboration with Peter Auto as a limited edition. It was the feather in the cap for a brand that’s on the verge of outgrowing the title microbrand, proving their mastery of multiple watch styles and complications. Now, the Baltic Tricompax Chronograph is joining their regular collections as non-limited versions in panda and reverse panda colourways.
Structurally, it’s identical to the previous limited edition with a 39.5mm diameter case made from stainless steel. It also features an aluminium tachymeter bezel that, in combination with the central chronograph hand, allows you to calculate the speed of an object over a known distance, which is what makes it a staple of racing and sport watches. The flat link bracelet it’s presented on is inspired by designs from the 1970s.
It’s the new watches’ dials that have been updated from the original. One is a panda-style reference with a creamy, beige dial and black subdials and the other has a black dial and beige subdials, making it a reverse panda. Honestly, it’s the Peter Auto edition, just without the colourful splashes of orange and yellow from the various scales. That’s not to say the monochromatic versions aren’t just as attractive though; their high contrast style and retro vibe is magnetic.
Under the surface is the Sellita SW510-M chronograph calibre with hours, minutes, small-seconds, central chronograph hand, 60-minute timer and 12-hour timer. It also has a pretty impressive power reserve of 63-hours.
Price wise, both the Baltic Tricompax Chronograph Panda and Reverse Panda are €1,645 on bracelet or €1,585 on leather bracelet (approx. £1,410/£1,365). Plus, the first 200 watches of each colourway will be numbered, although the watches themselves aren’t limited editions. Usually, I prefer a standard panda to the reverse, but I like the freshness of the latter in this particular case.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Baltic Tricompax Chronograph Panda and Reverse Panda
- Case/dial: 39.5mm diameter x 13.5mm thickness, stainless steel case, matte light beige or semi gloss black finish, first 200 units casebacks engraved with number from 1 to 200
- Water resistance: 50m (5 bar)
- Movement: Sellita calibre SW510-M, manual winding, 23 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 63h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, tricompax chronograph
- Strap: Brushed stainless steel bracelet or light grey calf leather strap
- Price/availability: €1,585 (approx. £1,365) (leather strap) and €1,645 (approx. £1,410) (bracelet)