Whether it’s the Italian Concorso d’Eleganza or the British Concours of Elegance, A. Lange & Söhne know how to make special edition watches that are at home alongside fantastic automobiles. Last year saw the Saxon giants create a unique salmon version of the 1815 Chronograph that was awarded to the winner of best in show at the Concorso d’Eleganz Villa d’Este in Italy. For the Concours of Elegance 2022 at Hampton Court Palace, A. Lange & Söhne have created the new 1815 Chronograph “Hampton Court Edition”, set to be auctioned for charity in November.
The watch itself is breath-taking and a 1-of-1 piece unique to boot. It’s a 39.5mm, white gold version of the classic 1815 Chronograph design introduced in 2004. The gold of its case has been beautifully contrasted to a silver dial in black and for the first time in the model’s history, sandstone coloured Arabic numerals and scales. Then, the face is completed with rhodium coloured hands and subdials, which gives the watch a stylised reverse panda aesthetic.
On the back of the “Hampton Court Edition” you’ll find a hinged cuvette in white gold, painstakingly engraved with the logo for the Concours of Elegance. Below the cuvette is a sapphire crystal exhibition caseback revealing the movement housed inside.
It’s the Lange manufacture calibre L951.5, a manual chronograph movement with a power reserve of 60-hours. It features a flyback, column wheel chronograph complication with chronograph seconds and a 30-minute timer. There’s also a running seconds counter. In terms of finishing, it has been decorated by hand featuring untreated German silver bridges and plate as well as an engraved balance cock. To ensure perfection, the movement was assembled twice by A. Lange & Söhne’s master watchmakers.
You can see the 1815 Chronograph “Hampton Court Edition” at the Concours of Elegance from September 2 to 4 at Hampton Court Palace. Alongside the special edition, Lange will be displaying a wide variety of timepieces and will have a master watchmaker present so you can observe the craft live. Oh, and then of course there are 60 of the finest cars in the world to check out too.
Following the event, the 1815 Chronograph “Hampton Court Edition” will be auctioned on November 6 by Phillips as part of the Geneva Auction XVI. Proceeds from the sale will go to The Prince’s Trust charity, which aims to enable children, teenagers and young adults to reach their full potential.
Price & Specs:
- Model: A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph “Hampton Court Edition”
- Ref: 414.047
- Case/dial: 39.5mm diameter x 11.8mm thickness, 18k white gold case, hand-engraved hinged cuvette, with the Concours of Elegance logo on the outside, limited-edition engraving “Unique Piece” on the inside and black dial with sand-stone coloured numerals
- Movement: A. Lange & Söhne calibre L951.5, manual winding, in-house, 34 jewels, 306 parts
- Frequency: 18,000 vph (2.5 Hz)
- Power reserve: 60h
- Functions: Hours, minutes and subsidiary seconds with stop seconds, flyback chronograph with precisely jumping minute counter, tachometer scale
- Strap: Black hand-stitched alligator leather
- Price/availability: Not for sale, one piece reserved exclusively for the for The Prince’s Trust charity auction.