New Releases Watches

Yema Reveal New Manufacture Morteau CMM.20 Movement in Wristmaster Micro-Rotor Limited Edition

YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition Green Dial YEMA Calibre Manufacture Morteau CMM.20

Amongst purists, a watch brand only becomes a watchmaker when they build their own in-house calibre. It’s a pretty steep ask, given the level of development that goes into a new movement and both the time and capital that requires. It’s why third-party movements from Sellita, ETA, Miyota et al are still so vital to the watch industry at large. For Yema though, third-party just won’t cut it.

Yema has been working on their own movements for a while now, offering solid, in-house calibres across their models. The new calibre Manufacture Morteau CMM.20 however is an entirely different ball game.

YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition Blue Dial

The name comes from the fact that a massive 80% of all components in the new movement are made at – or sourced nearby – Yema’s own workshops in Morteau, France. The big exception, the remaining 20% is the regulating organ, which is Swiss, but that’s still more than pretty much any watchmaker outside of Switzerland can claim.

YEMA Calibre Manufacture Morteau CMM.20 Blue

That’s only been possible thanks to a huge renovation of said workshops, a suite of new watchmaking machines and a hefty dose of independent expertise joining the team. Basically, there’s no short-cut here. Yema has invested heavily in the framework needed to not just produce one new movement but become a self-sufficient manufacture in their own right.

YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition Green Dial

YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition Calibre Manufacture Morteau CMM.20

If the Morteau CMM.20 is anything to go by, they’re already a good chunk of the way there. An ultra-thin, micro-rotor movement, it has a lot going for it. Alongside its home-grown nature, it boasts a solid 70-hour power reserve, -3 / +7 seconds accuracy (close to, but not quite, COSC standard) and a thickness of just 3.7mm, letting it slip into slim, refined cases.

Yema Wristmaster Traveller Micro Rotor Drawing

It’s a solid specs list for any watchmaker, and it’s more than just speculation. The first of these movements has been unveiled in the YEMA Wristmaster Micro-Rotor Limited Edition, a 60s-inspired sports-luxe flavoured timepiece in three distinctive colours. That colour’s not just restricted to the dial either; the blue, green or black is matched by the coloured bridges of the new movement. It’s a fantastic touch and illustrates the control Yema have of their new calibre.

YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition Blue Dial

This being a shiny new calibre however, don’t expect thousands of these to flood the market – the shiny new Wristmaster will be limited to 1,948 pieces. You can nab one (and only one) for yourself via Yema’s soon-to-launch Kickstarter campaign here. For the first run of a new French movement in your colour of choice, it’s a solid bet to back.

Price & Specs:

  • Model: YEMA Wristmaster Traveller Micro-Rotor Limited Edition
  • Case/dial: 39mm diameter (43.5mm lug-to-lug) x 9.2mm thickness, stainless steel case, black, blue or green dial with super-LumiNova indexes BGW9, screw-down crown
  • Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
  • Movement: Micro-Rotor calibre Manufacture Morteau 20, automatic, -3 / +7 seconds accuracy
  • Power reserve: 70h
  • Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds
  • Strap: Stainless steel bracelet
  • Price/availability: €1,499 (one watch available per backer for €1,499 * (-50% off future retail price). *EU backers will pay €300 EU VAT during checkout i.e. €1,799 in total, limited to 1,948 pieces

About the author

Sam Kessler

Legend has it that Sam’s first word was ‘escapement’ and, while he might have started that legend himself, he’s been in the watch world long enough that it makes little difference. As the editor of Oracle Time, he’s our leading man for all things horological – even if he does love yellow dials to a worrying degree. Owns a Pogue; doesn’t own an Oyster Perpetual. Yet.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get the latest watch and luxury lifestyle news straight to your inbox