Patek Philippe seem determined to single-handedly reverse the (temporary) decline of the second-hand watch market with the launch of a timepiece that’s guaranteed to become a cult icon. That’s an easy guarantee to give because the model it’s based on, the World Timer Chronograph, is itself already a huge cult hit. Meet the Patek Philippe World Time Chronograph Ref. 5935A-001 in stainless steel.
When the words ‘steel’ and ‘Patek Philippe’ get used together, collectors start salivating immediately. That’s because it’s not a material that Patek uses all that often and when they do use it, it’s typically on their sporty models like the Nautilus and the Aquanaut. Meaning that a steel complication watch is exceptionally rare.
Plus, steel works really well for world time watches because it’s the ultimate traveller’s complication, allowing you to read the time across the globe at a glance. Travelling can be an incredibly taxing experience on wristwatches because there’s always a chance for bumps and scrapes during transit, especially for a fairly large watch like the Ref. 5935 at 41mm. Which is where steel comes in, as it’s far more scratch resistant and robust compared to precious metals.
However, a steel case alone does not a cult icon make. It’s the combination of the Ref. 5935’s case and dial that are sure to prove it a hit. The dial is made from rose-gilt opaline with a carbon-motif, elevating the piece with an elegance that contrasts to the steel case. It’s the same juxtaposition of styles and aesthetic that make the Nautilus a sports luxe legend and while I’ve never wanted to call a world timer sports luxe before, it almost seems appropriate here.
Housed inside is the same automatic Calibre CH 28-520 HU world timer, flyback chronograph movement Patek Philippe use in the majority of their World Time Chronographs, such as last year’s green model with the Ref. 5930P-001. It has a 55-hour power reserve with hours, minutes, flyback chronograph and 30-minute timer complications. Plus, there’s the 24-hour scale and world time indicators on the dial.
Price wise, Patek Philippe have it listed at £51,430. That’s already a sizeable amount of money but once it hits the second-hand market, expect to see those prices skyrocket to ludicrous levels.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Patek Philippe World Time Flyback Chronograph
- Ref: 5935A-001
- Case/dial: 41mm diameter x 12.75mm thickness, stainless steel case, rose-gilt opaline dial, charcoal grey gold applied hour markers with luminescent coating
- Water resistance: 30m (3 bar)
- Movement: Patek Philippe calibre CH 28‑520 HU, automatic, 38 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 55h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, flyback chronograph with 30-minute counter, world time, 24-hour and day/night indication for the 24 time zones
- Strap: Taupe grained calfskin leather with additional beige calfskin strap
- Price/availability: £51,430