Norfolk-based watchmaker Garrick have been making a statement on the stage of British independent watchmaking recently. First there was the Fears Garrick, a fabulous collaboration with a fellow British independent. And now they’ve announced their latest solo project, the Garrick S5.
Aesthetically, it’s business as usual for Garrick. By which I mean there’s plenty of hand engraved guilloché, maritime hands and hand-inked roman numerals. It really is a labour of love to traditional hand crafts with each watch created to order. Although due to anticipation following the Fears Garrick, the wait list for the S5 already reaches well into 2023.
What the S5 innovates on are the case dimensions. Previously the smallest Garrick was 42mm in diameter, which is pretty large for a dress watch. Consequently, customers frequently asked for smaller options to be made available and that request has finally been met by the S5 which has a diameter of 39mm.
The reduction in size means the Garrick S5 also contains a new calibre that’s proportionally smaller. Specifically, it’s the Garrick calibre UT-G05 manual wind movement with 60-hour power reserve. The combination of the new movement with hand-crafted dial and fan-requested case makes for a price tag of £19,200. A fact that makes the wait list all the more impressive.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Garrick S5
- Case/dial: 39mm diameter x 8mm thickness, stainless steel or gold case, sapphire crystal with AR coating, exhibition case back, gold or rhodium plated silver engine turned dial
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: Calibre Garrick UT-G05, in-house, manual winding, 20 jewels
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Power reserve: 60h
- Functions: House, minutes, seconds
- Strap: Handmade alligator, calf, buffalo or ostrich leather with stainless steel pin buckle
- Price/availability: £19,200