There are many specialist watchmakers in the world, but few have a niche as interesting as Jord. Jord is the premier wood watch and natural substance watchmaker, using advanced techniques to create high quality watches from uncommon materials. Their latest limited edition watch is called the Foundry, which features an aerospace composite made from natural fabric for the first time in watchmaking history.
The Jord Foundry is a 44mm automatic dive watch in stainless steel with a 100m depth rating. Aesthetically, it doesn’t have much in common with the classic interpretation of a diver since there’s no dive-scale bezel, however that’s because the bezel showcases the signature aerospace composite inlay. That colourful inlay is produced through a process called Resin-Infused Stabilisation Technology (RIST). In brief, layers of natural fabric are laced in thermoset resin and exposed to heat and pressure, binding the composite together. The resulting material, which has been used in vintage aerospace designs such as propellers and grid insulation, rivals ceramic for its properties of hardness and water resistance.
Plus, the appearance of the RIST material is endlessly customisable based on the colour of fabric used and the pattern created by the process. Which means no two Jord Foundry watches look identical. There are four primary styles available: the red, white and blue American Maze, the Black and Teal, Blue Maze and Brown Maze. Each colourway totally reinvents the style of the watch and each version is limited to 200 pieces.
As for the watch’s display, it manages to compress a lot of information onto the dial without making it feel cluttered. There’s a power reserve indicator at 12 o’clock, month counter at 3, 24-hour counter at 6, a days counter at 9 and a date window tucked between 4 and 5. But despite the wealth of information there’s lots of clear space to admire the sunray brushed finish. The hour scale features large Arabic numerals and indexes coated in Swiss lumiNova, providing excellent legibility under water.
All those complications come courtesy of the movement housed inside, which is the Citizen Miyota 9100 calibre. It’s an automatic piece with a solid 40-hour power reserve that in combination with the sheer number of complications makes it quite an impressive movement at this price point.
Speaking of price, it’s a very accessible £955. Which is even more bang for your buck when you consider it also comes with a piano lacquer watch vault presentation box, a signed steel authenticity card and a leather travel pouch. There’s also an alternative silicon strap if you aren’t a fan of the RIST inlay bracelet.
Price & Specs:
- Model: Jord Foundry Limited Edition
- Case/dial: 44mm diameter, brushed & polished stainless steel case with RIST Thermoset composite bezel in “American Maze”, “Black and Teal”, “Blue Maze” or “Brown Maze”, black (“Brown Maze”), white (“American Maze” and “Blue Maze”) or teal (“Black and Teal”) Swiss LumiNOVA dial
- Water resistance: 100m (10 bar)
- Movement: Citizen Miyota Calibre 9100, automatic, ParaShock Anti-Shock System, 26 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 40h
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, date, chronograph, power reserve
- Strap: Stainless steel bracelet with unique RIST thermoset fabric composite inlay with additional interchangeable silicone strap
- Price/availability: £955, limited to 200 pieces per colourway (Collector’s edition box and leather travel pouch are included with every purchase)
More details at JORD.